A few weeks ago I received an email from Makeup Forever, asking if I would like to try one of their new Aqua Rouge Waterproof Liquid Lip Colours. Of course, being a makeup addict and a big fan of Makeup Forever, I immediately said "Yes, please!". To be honest, I have tried several different 'lip stain-like' products in the past, and have really never been impressed. Some are too drying, some sit in fine lines, and most just don't last. I am happy to say that this is truly not the case with Makeup Forever's Aqua Rouge Lip Colours. Not only do they feel amazing on the lips, they last throughout the entire day, and give the lips a gorgeous lacquer finish. Below is my full review:
Makeup Forever's recently released 'Aqua Rouge' Waterproof Liquid Lip Colours are smudge-proof, high impact liquid lip stains that "deliver the intensity and long lasting coverage of a lip stain, with the eye catching shine of a gloss". These full coverage lip stains give the lips a gorgeous, high-sheen, lacquer finish and are 100% waterproof, kiss-proof, non-sticky and super long wearing. Makeup Forever's 'Aqua Rouge' lip colours come in twelve shades, including # 8 'Red', a bright cherry red with yellow undertones (Madonna wears this colour on stage during a large portion of her MDNA tour).
Makeup Forever's #8 Aqua Rouge Waterproof Liquid Lip Colour comes in a thin, sleek, double-ended tube, perfect for slipping into your purse or travel makeup bag. One end of the tube contains the opaque liquid colour and comes with a doe foot applicator for easy and smooth application. The other side, contains a lacquer finish, clear gloss, which is applied to the lips with a small, synthetic brush.
Makeup Forever's Aqua Rouge Waterproof Liquid Lip Colours are priced at $27 CND for 0.08 fl oz. In comparison, YSL's 'Rouge Pur Couture-Vernis a Levres Glossy Stains' retail at $34 CND for 0.20oz.
Aqua Rouge #8 (without the clear gloss)
1) Amazing Colour Payoff: Makeup Forever's Aqua Rouges are true to colour, meaning what you see in the tube is EXACTLY what you get on the lips. The pigmentation of these lip colours is insane, and therefore only one small coat is needed to achieve, a bold, opaque look.
2) Insanely Long Lasting: Once this Aqua Rouge lip colours is applied to your lips, it does not budge throughout the day (at all!). I am able to apply this lip colour at 10am, eat and drink throughout the day, kiss the back of my hand (unfortunately, I don't have a man to test this on), and rub my fingers over my lips without any colour coming off. In fact, I took a shower with this lipstick on this morning (for testing purposes), and it was still perfectly on my lips when I got out. These are by far the longest lip products I have ever tried.
3) Surprisingly Moisturizing: I have tried several different lip stains in the past (both creamy and non creamy) and not one of them has felt the least bit moisturizing. In fact, after a few hours wear, they dry out my lips so badly, I have to remove them for the rest of the day. This is, surprisingly, not the case with the Aqua Rouge Lip Colours. Makeup Forever's creamy formula contains a gelling agent which makes for comfortable wear. This combined with the ultra shiny gloss, leaves the lips feeling comfortable and moisturized.
4) No Fine Lines: My other problem with traditional lip stains is that they almost always sit in the fine lines of my lips, making me look like I have the lips of a 60 year old. This is not the case with Makeup Forever's Aqua Rouge. The combination of the liquid lip colour and high sheen gloss, hides any of my fine lines, and actually left my lips looks healthy and plump.
Aqua Rouge #8 (with the clear gloss)
1) Help, I Cant Get This Off!: I realize that the REALLY BIG benefit of these Aqua Rouge Liquid Lip Colours is that they don't budge throughout the day, but to be honest, they are a nightmare when it comes to getting them off. Whether swatched on the back of the hand, or on the lips themselves, they take a heavy hand, some soap (dish soap seems to work best) and several cotton pads soaked in makeup remover (MAC's Cleanse Off Oil works best for me) to get them off. While at the end of the day, this may not be a problem for anyone who plans to wear them all day, they are not good for quick removal during the day (especially not within an hour or two of application).
Overall, I love the Makeup Forever Aqua Rogue Stains, and definitely want more colours! These were a huge surprise for me as they are super creamy, very moisturizing and totally live up to their 'ultra long-lasting' claim. While the price may seem a little steep for some (including me), the fact that you need hardly any product per application makes up for this. My only warning before investing in one of these lip colours? Make sure you have a good makeup remover on hand!
9/10 Funny Faces
Have you tried any of Makeup Forever's Aqua Rouge Waterproof Lip Colours? What colour is your favourite? If you have yet to try one, do you want to? Be sure to let me know in the comment section below.